Thursday, March 21, 2013

Amish families have joined the Church!



When my amazing Young Women leader, Cathy, was visiting me, we talked for hours! Catching up on her wonderful life and family was truly a gift to me :]. Her family moved to Ohio quite a few years ago. In the past little while, they have had some amazing experiences with friends joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I have always been intrigued by the Amish culture and it's devout people. [I suspect that's how people feel about us :] ]. It's been really cool to learn more about them; we have SO MANY Amish people and Mennonites here in Lakewood Ranch! The most renowned restaurant in the area is Yoder's, an Amish family's restaurant that serves delish comfort food and the best peanut butter pie. In fact, while Cathy and I were on the beautiful Siesta Key beach, two Amish women were parked next to us [amid a few other interestingly dressed individuals haha]. They're very noticeable because of their attire. Beautiful pilgrim-esque dresses and neat bonnets. I love that, just as our Church encourages, they stay away from the materialistic, superficial ways on the world. [I write this as I wear my Seven jeans...]

Side note: The Mission President for Columbus is in Cathy's congregation [ward].  For those who aren't LDS [Mormon] the Mission President is simply the man who presides over the missionaries in that area. Just for kicks, thought you Utah people should know that he owns every Cafe Rio and has their food shipped to where they live alllll the time. Not a fan myself, but rock on Mish Prez.


Cathy's ward is very close to an Amish "village." A man in their ward frequented one of the Amish member's wood shop for their fine furniture. After a few visits, he gave a Book of Mormon to the owner. After some time, the man decided to read it.

 I have found that it's so much easier to read things you agree with. However, how can you know whether or not you agree if you never open the book? 

This man continued to read the Book of Mormon and wanted to learn more about it through the missionaries. He had to do so secretly in their barn at night; their people would not have approved :[. He shared his experiences with his two brothers, both of which decided to start reading and learning with him. Their families also started to learn about the Gospel and felt the exact same way.


Despite the known tribulations that lie ahead, each family member chose to be baptized! They have recently gone through the temple have been sealed as a family; together forever :]. Although they can still live their wonderful culture, their conversion has brought many difficulties into their lives. They are true examples of faith, sacrifice and testimony. I just want to run up to Ohio and meet them! I find the more private details of their story to be so similar to the experiences of Joseph Smith. I hope that everyone learns of these amazing people. The Church is true. I always want to share what I love with others, and I am so happy that the members in Columbus did that with the wonderful Amish people.

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog format and your writing is genius. Thank you for sharing such a great story of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story Mary! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lacey and Cath! Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way as you do about the Amish. I'd love to meet these converts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back from a fireside where the mission president and his wife who taught the converts spoke about this miracle. SO inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a mormon who thinks the Amish have a better grip on charity and brotherhood than some mormons I know. They have auctions to help someone in need. Do you see Mormons doing that...not very often. The Amish are a blessed people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary! I would absolutely LOVE to hear more details on this story! Is there anyone you can put me in touch with that could give me more details. I found an article that was supposed to be on BYUI Scrolls but was taken down; the only info I do have is the story from D. Todd Christofferson, which doesn't give too much detail! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete