Saturday, March 22, 2014

5 to the K.





We have had an amayzang weekend! I have decided that this weekend started on Thursday; my dad, +Brad, graced our presence for the, get this, 3rd time this year! It was so fun. We had our plethora of standard sarcasm, dinner, ice cream and movie. See you soon Bradley. Most likely in 3.5 weeks. I have been blessed with so many things from working at the Y. I have made amazing friends. Cheryl is one of them and she is a pure example of selflessness and friendship. She told me on Thursday that if I volunteered with her on Friday to help set up the Run or Dye 5k, I would get into the race for free.99How could I turn that down?! 


Holi Festival in 2011!
The Run or Dye company is from Utah; it stemmed from the Holi Festival of Colors held in Utah every spring at a beautiful Krishna temple. 

We spent quite a few hours running around; volunteering feels great! At one point I saw that the missionaries were my next people in line to help! While we were out, Cheryl turns to me and says that she is giving her free entry to Zane. And I was like...  wait WHAT?

Turns out she is injured and found out that she can't run just a few days prior. I asked her how she is volunteering hours Friday and hours Saturday [at the race] and not using her free entry. She has never even met Zane! But, no. Cheryl was determined to do good for others despite her disappointment. I am amazed. If only I were as humble as Cheryl; I have learned so much with her just within a few days. I ran home and showed Zane his number and shirt! We, the lowly notimeforanything med student family were now given the chance to spend time together, appreciate God's green earth, exercise, make memories... for free. It was a blessing all around! We had an amazing experience! Perfect weather, thousands of fun and happy families and athletes, great music, the list goes on. While +Zane and I were at the race in the 5th wave getting ready to run, I turned around and there are four missionaries covered in powder and jamming to the music with us. Everyone was taking pictures of them they were being hilair.

+Zane is a runner. And I. Am not. While he was off running [and probably finishing 8 hours before me], I kept seeing this girl running at the same pace as me! I decided that I would use her as my motivation to keep going! Towards the end of the race, she runs up to me and says, "just so you know I've been following your pace the whole time!" I couldn't believe it! We became instant friends [and now FB friends of course]. What a perfect day. Cheryl, +Zane and I will always be so grateful!



2 comments:

  1. This looks like SO much fun! I love that you get to see dad so much :) Such a blessing. and now.... you will get to see me and KRIIISSSSS!!!!!! Work it girllll

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun day! Wish I had seen you and Zane but alas...I am not a runner either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete